Colorful leaves, brisk temps and earlier sunsets - the perfect season for fireside outdoor dining. Did you know many recipes can be adapted for our good grills, cooking firepits or wood-fired ovens year-round? Here are some of our fall favorites. Try them out in your own backyard!
Grilled Harissa Chicken
- 2 tablespoons smoked paprika
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
- 1 teaspoon adobo sauce from chipotle peppers
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and black pepper to taste
Combine smoked paprika, garlic, cumin, caraway seeds, chipotle pepper and adobo sauce. Use a mortar and pestle (or bowl and back of a spoon) to grind ingredients into a paste. Smear paste over chicken breasts, then place them in a bowl, covered, and refrigerate at least 4 hours or overnight.
Preheat an outdoor grill for medium heat and lightly oil grate. Remove chicken from marinade and discard excess marinade. Brush chicken breasts with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Grill chicken until meat shows grill marks and inside is no longer pink, about 5 minutes per side. Serve on a bed of tomato salad or alongside rice with peas and onions.
Cranberry Apple Sweet Potato Hot Packet
- 1 sheet (18 x 24 inch) heavy-cut alumiunum foil
- 4 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 Granny Smith or Golden Delicious apples cored and thinly sliced into rings
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Preheat grill or cooking firepit to medium-high. Center sweet potatoes, apples and cranberries on the foil sheet. Sprinkle with brown sugar. Combine melted butter and cinnamon; drizzle over brown sugar. Bring up foil sides. Double-fold top and ends to seal, leaving room for heat circulation inside. Cook 20-25 minutes covered. Check to make sure sweet potatoes are tender before serving.
Fireside Spiked Apple Cider
- 7 cups apple cider
- 1/2 cup brown sugar Cheesecloth
- 4 cinnamon sticks
- 1 teaspoon whole allspice
- 1 teaspoon whole cloves
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 1/2 cups dark rum
- 1/2 cup butterscotch schnapps
Combine cider and brown sugar in a saucepan. Wrap cinnamon sticks, allspice, cloves and lemon zest in cheesecloth and add to cider mixture. Place saucepan on outdoor stovetop, cooking firepit grate or grill side burner and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes. Remove spice bundle and stir in rum and butterscotch schnapps. Serve warm in mugs.
Thanks to contributors John, Cara and allrecipes.com!